Foster families who have adopted in the Northern Region will benefit from a new respite program sponsored by the Family Support Center of Ogden.
Camp OWL (“Owlets We Love”) is a Weekend Respite Camp for children who have been adopted from foster care. “Camp” will provide fun activities, food and interactive learning opportunities by staff who are trained in behavioral and trauma specific behaviors.
Camp OWL is open to ages 0-17 with activities for all ages. During the time children are at The Family Support Center they will be provided with healthy meals and snacks, fun activities, learning opportunities, and an environment that promotes healthy relationships, friendships and resourcefulness. While kids are at camp, it will provide the family an opportunity to take a respite break and recharge.
Families are encouraged to take advantage of the entire weekend in order to get a break and allow their child to participate in all the activities. There will be a short and fun awards ceremony at the commencement of the weekend for families to join in celebrating their child!
Camp OWL Staff Members:
If you live in Northern Region and are interested in having your child attend Camp OWL, please read the information under “CAMP OWL INFO” below.
If you are interested in finding respite care or other free services and resources provided by a Family Support Center in your area, please click on the following link: http://utahfamilysupport.org/find-a-center/. In addition to providing post-adopt respite care and crisis nurseries, Family Support Centers across the state offer parenting courses, social skills classes for children, and may operate lending libraries and therapeutic services.
CAMP OWL INFO:
Step 1: Email or call Katy at 801-393-3113 or email@example.com to register.
Step 2: Contact your post adopt worker to ensure you have funding to pay for camp. The cost is $165 per weekend per child.
Step 3: Once it’s approved through post adopt, Katy will send registration forms via email to be filled out and returned 7 days prior to camp start date.
· Ages 0-17.
· This particular pilot program is currently only open to the Northern Region at this time and is for children adopted through foster care.
· Check in will be on Friday afternoon between 4-5:00. Parents will pick up their campers on Sunday at 1:30 and stay for a short closing ceremony.
· Scheduling will be done directly with Katy to ensure that she has information regarding kids, behaviors, special needs/requests and to staff appropriately.
· All registration information will be filled and sent to Katy before the children arrive at camp.
· Cost: $165 for the entire weekend. Please contact your post adopt worker for grant funding. They will pay the Family Support Center directly so there is no out of pocket expense for the family.
· Campers will be on a merit based program and will earn rewards to show to their family upon pick up. (Based on 5 Protective Factors). Families are encouraged to stay and participate in closing ceremony.
· Parents are responsible for any damage caused by the camper.
· Camp is not intended to be a punishment, but to support families in self-care and planned respite time. We encourage parents to view this as a positive experience and not as a threat for poor behavior.
This is a year round weekend program with the following dates open for registration:
July 28-30, Aug 4-6, Aug 18-20, Sept 1-3, Sept 15-17, Oct 6-8, Oct 20-22, Nov 17-19, Dec 1-3, Dec 15-17
Northern Region post adopt worker information:
Jeanna O’Connor firstname.lastname@example.org 801-395-5973
Anna Whisler email@example.com 435-213-6641