CPR Certification & Immunizations Tips

by John Thill, Area Representative, UFC Western Region*

I have heard from RFC’s and foster parents that relicensing is harder due to the vaccination and CPR training requirements recently added.   Let me help make this simple for you . . .

CPR Certification

JUST SO YOU KNOW ONLINE CERTIFICATION COURSES ARE ACCEPTABLE and you can take a totally free course at the following website:  http://www.firstaidforfree.com.

If you use this site, please take the “basic fist aid” AND “Basic CPR” courses.  They are separate courses and you will need each one to get licensed.  Once you are done with your training and you download your certificates, send a copy to your licensor (OUR NEW FAMILIES ARE CHOOSING TO USE THIS SITE AND GETTING LICENSED WITHOUT DELAY).  Check it out; you will be glad you did.  If you don’t like this site, choose another and pay a small amount if that will make you feel better.

Proof of Immunizations Requirements

Each person living in the home will need to verify current immunizations.  The Office of Licensing (OL) requires the following vaccinations for adults: Tdap, MMR. Hep A, Hep B, and Varicella (if you have had chicken pox you will not need this one, just let your licensor know you have already had chicken pox).  If you cannot find the verification forms for all members (kids are easy, the adults tend to have a hard time finding them) or if you simply choose to not be vaccinated, don’t worry, you have options.

The options available to you and your family are as follows:

  1.  Your doctor can do a blood test to check for some of them but you may have to get others redone.  They can either check the box on the application form that says you are compliant OR they can submit a letter from your doctor’s office stating the same.
  2.  You could also choose to simply get all of the required vaccinations redone and then submit the current shot record or verification letter reflecting the re-administration of the required vaccinations as noted above.
  3. The final option is to not get re-vaccinated or provide proof of the vaccinations- however, doing so will limit you from taking un-immunized children AND babies under 2 months old until OL gets documentation.

CPR and Vaccinations are just that simpole . . . don’t believe me?  Contact your licensor today and let them tell you how easy this really is!

*This information originally appeared in the February & March 2017 Foster Roster and has been reprinted with permission.


Immunizations Requirements Update

As mentioned in this post, New Immunization Requirements for Foster Families, effective October 23, 2015, the Office of Licensing is requiring all foster care providers and members of their households to show verification of immunizations to their licensor.

The Office of Licensing is accepting a variety of Immunization Records.  If you find any paper with records of immunizations send it to your licensor- it most likely will be accepted!

If your child attends public school and is up to date on their vaccinations, their school will most likely have a copy of their immunizations as well.

If you need to get re-immunized, the Office of Licensing will accept the first doses and can place with you after those have been received.  Remember, you must follow up with the rest of the immunizations schedule.  Your licensor will be checking this at renewal.

Here is the exact list of the Immunizations needed For ADULTS living in a foster home:


For Children, the above graph applies and pretty much covers kids through when they start school.  In addition to the requirements in the graph, children need the following additional immunizations by the time they enter the 7th grade:

1 Tdap

3rd Hepatitis B

2nd Varicella (chickenpox-history of disease is acceptable, parent must sign verification statement)

1 Meningococcal

If you have any additional questions or concerns about immunization verification please contact your licensor or Diane Moore with the Office of Licensing at dmoore@utah.gov